Hi friends! I am doing another round of Whole 30, which means new recipe creations! A couple weeks ago, I came up with this salad recipe and I fell in love with it. Inspired by this goop recipe, I decided to add some crunch with slivered almonds. There are also a couple of different dressing options I came up with, too.
You will need:
1 bunch of kale
About a cup of Brussels Sprouts
for the dressing:
1. Wash & dry kale. Remove the ribs and cut into thin ribbons (or strips). Drizzle juice from half a lemon on the kale. Set aside.
2. Slice brussels thinly or use a mandolin. Separate some of the leaves as well.
3. Heat coconut oil in a frying pan or dutch oven - enough coconut oil so that there is a thin layer rising from the bottom. Make sure the oil is hot enough by testing it out with a brussels sprout leaf to get it crispy.
4. Fry brussels sprouts in pan until they start to brown and crisp. Set aside on a paper towel and salt generously.
5. While the brussels are cooling, toast up almonds in the frying pan until slightly brown.
6. Whisk the rest of the lemon, 1 tbsp (or more) olive oil and 1 tbsp of dijon mustard for dressing. OR you can use this recipe to make a kale caesar (which I did in this picture here). Toss dressing with kale and brussels and garnish with toasted almonds & torn basil leaves.
This is a great salad with minimal ingredients if you are cooking for a bigger group of people , or you can always whip it up for lunch - the only cooking takes place in a pan. It works really well with leftover chicken or steak - I also like to add anchovies :)